GETTING TO THE BOTTOM OF OUR OCEAN
A $7 million global competition challenging teams to push the boundaries of ocean technologies by creating solutions that advance the autonomy, scale, speed, depths and resolution of ocean exploration.
The success of this prize will allow us to fully explore and map the ocean floor, and uncover our planets greatest wonder and resource for the benefit of humanity. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s $1 million bonus prize will incentivize teams to develop technologies to detect the source of chemical and biological signals underwater.
Teams will compete in two rounds of testing that:
Must launch from shore or air and, with restricted human intervention, their entries will have limited number of hours to explore the competition area (at depths of 2000 and 4000 meters) to produce:
1. a high resolution bathymetric map
2. images of a specified object
3. identify archaeological, biological or geological features
- Only 5% of the ocean has been explored yet it feeds over 2 billion & provides more than 50% of our oxygen
- 3 million shipwrecks are lying on the seafloor
- We know more about the surface of Mars than we know about our ocean floor
A NEW WORLD
Shell and XPRIZE share a vision of advancing ocean technology to finally provide safer methods of exploring such a challenging environment. By accelerating innovation, this powerful partnership aims to advance our understanding and care for the ocean, as well as ignite the public’s imagination with improved information and imagery that will shed a long over-due light on the most mysterious place on Earth.